It’s hard to find a dinner more satisfying than a steaming plate of flavourful pasta, but by now you’re well aware of just how fattening that is. Let’s not give up on our favourite pasta dishes…let’s make these dishes lighter, healthier and just as delicious by using noodles made from vegetables, rather than traditional, carb-laden pasta.
If you’re new to cooking with veggie noodles, have no fear! It’s simple and satisfying to create comforting guilt-free pasta dinners, and I’m going to show you how…
Guilt-Free Pasta Recipe #1: Zucchini
Zucchini is such a tender vegetable that it really doesn’t require cooking, and in fact cooking zucchini noodles quickly turns them to mush. I’ve found that pouring hot spaghetti sauce over a pile of zucchini noodles is all that it needs to heat it up without causing it to get mushy. You’ll need a spiral slicer –a little kitchen contraption that spirals zucchini through grating holes to create long, spaghetti-like noodles.
Make Zucchini Noodles:
- Wash the zucchini and remove the green skin with a veggie peeler or I like to leave it on. Run the peeled zucchini through a spiral slicer to create long, thin noodles.
- Top with warm spaghetti sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Guilt-Free Pasta Recipe #2: Butternut Pumpkin
While zucchini noodles are light and soft, noodles made from butternut pumpkin are a bit heartier. Not only does this translate into a more filling meal, it also means that need to be cooked on their own, before applying the spaghetti sauce, in order to achieve a tender consistency.
Now there’s a little bit of technique involved with cutting your butternut pumpkin in the best way to run it through a spiral slicer. I’ve found that the narrow part of the pumpkin, that’s completely solid, is the piece that works really well with a spiral slicer. Slice off the skin and then simply run it through the slicer. The part of the squash that’s hollow in the middle is trickier to use with the spiral slicer, since those pieces are pretty thin. A quick option is to simply chop those pieces thinly and use that along with the long noodle strands.
Make Butternut Pumpkin Noodles:
- Peel off the skin and cut in half removing the seeds. You should have 2 nice solid pieces of pumpkin (no hollow section). Run this through a spiral slicer to create long, thin noodles.
- Toss the noodles in boiling water and and pull them out when they are soft.
- Serve immediately with the spaghetti sauce of your choosing. Enjoy!
Guilt-Free Pasta Recipe #3: Carrot
Talk about truly guilt-free pasta – one made from carrot! Rather than serve this one with traditional spaghetti sauce (although you could) I’ve included a dressing to toss the noodles with and I’d recommend serving it with meatballs for some added protein.
Make Carrot Noodles:
- Wash your carrots and same as above run them through your spiral slicer.
- Serve the noodles warm and add your favorite pasta sauce.
Eating healthy, low carb meals like these are what it takes to have that lean, sexy body that you want. But don’t forget that a fit body also requires a consistent, challenging exercise program! Get my 8 Week Bodyback Program for 8 weeks of home workouts and loads more clean eating ideas that the family will love.